No further action is be taken after an investigation into a fatal shooting in Afghanistan involving six soldiers from Essex.
2nd Battalion Parachute Regiment soldiers patrolling Kabul
After a year-long inquiry into the shooting of a civilian in the Afghan capital Kabul, the military has decided that there was insufficient evidence to prosecute anyone.
A 20-year-old Afghan civilian was shot dead and four others were injured in February 2002.
Six British soldiers from the Colchester-based 2nd Battalion of the Parachute Regiment reported returning fire from a Kabul observation post after being shot at in the early hours of Saturday 16 February 2002.
The Afghan civilians insisted they had been unarmed and were trying to take a 21-year-old pregnant Faria Ishaq to hospital, defying a curfew, when they came under fire.
The pregnant woman's brother-in-law, Amaun Ishaq, 20, died.
Two of the soldiers were flown home at the start of the investigation.
The other four stayed on in Kabul but were removed from the theatre of operation.
A Ministry of Defence spokeswoman said on Monday that no further action was to be taken against the soldiers.
She said there was insufficient evidence to prosecute anybody.