Page last updated at 13:05 GMT, Wednesday, 27 May 2009 14:05 UK

Paramedic rescued from flat fire

Rescuers had to act fast when a paramedic became trapped in a blaze while saving a casualty in Dorset.

Fire crews were called to a property on Dorchester Road in Weymouth at 0227 BST and found one paramedic treating a casualty and another trapped inside.

The man had been treating a patient inside the smoke-filled flat when he found his own route to safety blocked.

A second ambulance arrived to treat the paramedic. No-one was seriously hurt in the blaze.

A spokesman for the South Western Ambulance Service said the paramedic was admitted to Dorset County Hospital in Dorchester where he was treated for smoke inhalation and later released.

The flat was badly damaged by smoke and heat in one bedroom and had minor smoke damage elsewhere.

The blaze is being treated as accidental.



Print Sponsor


RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific