Page last updated at 11:42 GMT, Wednesday, 4 February 2009

Deadly gas found at new housing

Chris Walsh
Homeowner Chris Walsh said all the residents are concerned

A leak of a potentially fatal carbon monoxide left residents of a new housing development in Dorset with no gas supplies.

The supply to the 340-home Harbour Reach development in Poole cut off last Saturday.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) took the decision just days before the worst snowfalls in 18 years hit the UK.

Developer Taylor Wimpey apologised and is working to resolve the situation.

Chris Walsh, who moved into his three-bedroom townhouse just over a year ago, said: "It's not been good with the weather the way it is.

"They started by just turning off every boiler on the development, that was Friday.

boiler
Every boiler on the development has been turned off

"On Saturday they came round saying they have got to disconnect the whole supply.

"All the residents are concerned. We've been told there are serious problems with the boiler flues and levels of carbon monoxide, it's a silent killer."

Mr Walsh said he and other residents have been issued with two electric radiators each.

"When you buy a new property you get a [gas] certificate that the property has been tested and complies. How can that be allowed to have happened?", he asked.

In a statement, the HSE confirmed the gas supply had been cut off.

"HSE is working closely with all the relevant parties to ensure that what needs to be done is done during the course of the ongoing investigation in order to maintain the safety of all those concerned," it said.

Compensation payments

Raglan Housing Association, which also owns properties at the mixed development along with Swaythling Housing Association, said the problem was detected by a carbon monoxide detector fitted in all its homes.

The association has been providing microwave cookers and said residents will receive compensation payments.

A spokesperson for Taylor Wimpey, which owns the site's developer Bryant, said investigation work was continuing.

"We have updated residents and owners on the current situation today and wish to apologise for the ongoing inconvenience," they added in a statement.



Print Sponsor


SEE ALSO
Corfu parents' gas safety plea
05 Dec 06 |  Bradford

RELATED BBC LINKS

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

FROM OTHER NEWS SITES
Bournemouth Daily Echo Gas cut off at Poole flats just as Arctic weather blasts in - 56 hrs ago



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific