[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Thursday, 18 October 2007, 18:50 GMT 19:50 UK
Crystal ball sets fire to house
Crystal ball fire
Firefighters discovered the curtain fire was caused by a crystal ball
A woman returned home to a house full of smoke after a crystal ball set fire to her lounge.

Firefighters said the crystal ball on the windowsill had refracted sunlight on to the curtains, starting the blaze. The woman returned to her home in Poole, Dorset, at 1400 BST to discover the fire.

Watch manager Dave Cooper, of Dorset Fire and Rescue Service, said: "The conditions were just right with a low, strong October sun."

He added: "It was a most unusual incident.

"The glass ball had literally refracted the light and set fire to the curtains.

"The lady was understandably quite shocked and called us straight away and then stayed out of the house.

"She asked us to take away the offending article - which we did of course, so it wouldn't upset her."

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific