Page last updated at 14:29 GMT, Saturday, 31 October 2009

Marchers oppose subs dismantling

Plymouth demo
Formal consultation will start in 2010

About 250 demonstrators have marched in Plymouth in protest at a controversial submarine dismantling project.

Devonport dockyard is one of a number of sites being considered for the work.

The Ministry of Defence is talking to local MPs and councillors before launching a formal consultation exercise in 2010.

A spokesman said no decisions had been made but the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament (CND) said the dockyard was too close to local communities.

Tony Staunton, from the CND, said: "The entire process of cutting-up radioactive hulks should not happen in Plymouth or anywhere else.

"It is a new process, never been done before, and no-one can make assurances of complete safety".



Print Sponsor


SEE ALSO
Sub dismantling compensation call
23 Oct 09 |  Devon
Navy base to be 'nuclear dustbin'
20 Apr 09 |  Devon
Trident protesters start blockade
20 May 05 |  Devon

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC iD

Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2017 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific