[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Saturday, 13 October 2007, 09:41 GMT 10:41 UK
Couples rescued from toxic fumes
The house in Burrington, Umberleigh
Firefighters said the couples were 'incredibly lucky'
Two elderly couples have been rescued after a carbon monoxide leak in a stove in a north Devon home.

One man woke up feeling poorly and collapsed. Another man managed to call the emergency services before also collapsing at about 0400 BST.

High levels of carbon monoxide were later detected in the solid fuel stove at the house in Burrington, Umberleigh.

All four occupants were taken to hospital suffering from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning.

A spokesman for Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service said the couples were "incredibly lucky".

Two fire engines, gas detection equipment and a hazardous material officer were called to the property.

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific