[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Saturday, 18 February 2006, 12:12 GMT
Third giraffe dies after zoo fire
Paddy the giraffe
Paddy came to Paignton Zoo in 1993
Paddy the giraffe, injured in a fire which claimed the lives of his mate and a week-old calf at Paignton Zoo in Devon, has died.

Paddy was suffering from the effects of smoke inhalation and despite intensive treatment, he collapsed and died early on Saturday.

Vets had prescribed antibiotics and steroids to counter the effects of shock and ease his breathing.

Paddy was born in January 1991 and came to Paignton Zoo in 1993.

It's amazing that he lasted as long as he did
Phil Knowling, Paignton Zoo

Paddy's mate Kizi and her baby died on Sunday night in the fire, thought to have been caused by an electrical fault.

Paignton Zoo spokesman Phil Knowling said: "Veterinary experts weren't able to offer very much specialist advice because these cases are so difficult to treat.

"Animals rarely survive what Paddy went through; it's amazing that he lasted as long as he did.

"We did absolutely everything we could to help him. In the end it was quick and peaceful. This is a sad day for keepers, zoo staff and all our visitors."

Paignton Zoo has received messages of support from all over the world, as well as cards, flowers, drawings and donations since the fire.


SEE ALSO:


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific