[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Friday, 27 May, 2005, 17:14 GMT 18:14 UK
Strike over sacked men finishes
Deserted Drake Circus site on Thursday
It is hoped the workforce will be back on the site on Tuesday
Workers at a Plymouth city centre redevelopment who were on strike for two days in support of two suspended colleagues are to resume work.

The walk-out started at the 60,000sqm development Drake Circus development on Thursday morning.

The men were sacked by employer Bovis over alleged safety breaches, but strikers said disciplinary procedures were not followed.

Bovis said it hoped all staff would return to the site on Tuesday.

Site safety

Striking staff said workers who flouted safety rules were given yellow cards as a warning. Any further offences could mean a red card and dismissal.

But strikers said the two they were striking in support of were instantly shown red cards and dismissed.

Bovis said it had only suspended the two, that the suspensions had been rescinded and that it hoped the entire workforce would be back on the site on Tuesday.

P&O Developments, which manages the site, said progress would not be too badly hampered if the employees returned to work on Tuesday.

The 170m redevelopment is expected to be complete by autumn 2006.


SEE ALSO:


RELATED BBC LINKS:

RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific