Page last updated at 17:45 GMT, Tuesday, 23 February 2010

Hippodrome owner admits charge over repair work damage

Advertisement

The city council said it intended to recover costs from the theatre's owner

The owner of Derby's derelict Hippodrome theatre has pleaded guilty to carrying out work on the building without the right permission.

Developer Christopher Anthony, of Bishops Stortford, ordered work on the Grade II listed building two years ago which led to it being damaged.

But the judge at Derby Crown Court agreed Mr Anthony did not cause the damage for financial gain.

Sentencing will take place sometime in April at Stoke Crown Court.

Contractor Wayne Watson had all charges against him dropped after the city council's legal team offered no evidence.

Parking plan

Part of the roof and outside walls collapsed as contractors worked on the building in March 2008.

The court heard the damage was not deliberate but it was rather a "botched job".

The main part of the venue, which dates from the early 20th Century, has been open to the elements ever since and has been damaged by two fires.

In a statement Derby City Council said it was happy Mr Anthony had admitted his guilt.

It added a lot of money had been spent securing the building and protecting it from trespassers, and steps would be taken to recover the costs from Mr Anthony.

A plan to convert the area into a car park will go before city council planners in the next few months.



Print Sponsor


SEE ALSO
Empty theatre fire 'suspicious'
10 Feb 10 |  Derbyshire
Derelict theatre put up for sale
03 Dec 09 |  Derbyshire
In pictures: Theatres at risk
24 Jun 09 |  In Pictures
U-turn in Hippodrome repair saga
17 Jan 09 |  Derbyshire
Face-off over theatre repair bill
05 Sep 08 |  Derbyshire
Theatre owner faces repair demand
04 Sep 08 |  Derbyshire

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific