Page last updated at 11:34 GMT, Tuesday, 2 February 2010

Antifreeze warning to Derbyshire cat owners

Cat owners in Derbyshire have been told to keep animals indoors after four were poisoned with antifreeze.

Three of the pets died after apparently eating tainted food in the Margaret Avenue area of Long Eaton.

A local vet said cats were vulnerable as they wandered the street and keeping them inside was a sensible short-term precaution.

Local police have appealed for information and asked people to look out for cat food left in the open.

The reported poisonings occurred between the end of December and middle of January.

David Knowles of Ashfield House Veterinary Hospital added: "Also look out for signs of poisoning in your pet.

"This would include a complete loss of appetite, a very lethargic animal and sickness. If your cat is showing these signs, bring it straight into the nearest veterinary surgery."



Print Sponsor


SEE ALSO
Cats 'poisoned with antifreeze'
10 Jun 09 |  Derbyshire
Cat owners warned of poisonings
21 Apr 08 |  Derbyshire
Police probe into cat poisonings
11 Apr 08 |  Derbyshire

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific