Page last updated at 20:47 GMT, Tuesday, 30 December 2008

Dog owners get chocolate warning

Dog owners in Derby are being urged not to feed their pets chocolate meant for humans over the festive period.

Many owners do not realise that this kind of chocolate is highly toxic to dogs, Derby City Council said.

It contains a stimulant, Theobromine, which can affect the central nervous system and the heart muscle.

In 2007, 1,166 emergency calls were made by vets to dogs suffering from chocolate poisoning. In 2006, 790 such calls were made.

Symptoms include hyperactivity, agitation, excessive thirst, breathlessness, diarrhoea and vomiting.

Dog treats

The Christmas holiday period can be particularly bad since dogs can steal chocolate ornaments from the tree, eat edible presents or are fed by well-meaning owners and visitors, Derby City Council said.

Cabinet Member for Housing and Public Protection, Councillor Robert Troup, said: ''Our advice to owners is to keep chocolates out of reach and buy special chocolate dog treats from pet stores.

"If you know your dog has eaten a large amount of chocolate don't wait for the symptoms to appear. Take them to the vet straight away.''



Print Sponsor


SEE ALSO

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific