Page last updated at 13:35 GMT, Wednesday, 10 September 2008 14:35 UK

Two men jailed for football clash

CCTV shows supporters approaching the bar
The men were seen on CCTV footage shown in court

Two men have been jailed for their roles in a violent clash between Derby County and Nottingham Forest fans.

The fighting happened outside the Waterfall bar opposite Derby railway station on 15 September 2007.

Nicky Spencer, 24, from Clifton, Notts was jailed for a year, and Paul Gratton, 32, of Chaddesden, Derby, was jailed for six months for affray.

The judge told Derby Crown Court the rivalry was like that of "children in the school playground".

Four other men were given suspended sentences and another four were fined or given community work orders after admitting affray or threatening behaviour.

Operation Longstone

Judge John Burgess is considering giving them a football banning order, stopping them from attending matches.

"It's a mercy no innocent bystander was injured. The courts deplore mindless violence. This sort of gang rivalry smacks of the playground," he said.

The court heard that a group of Nottingham Forest supporters on their way to watch an away match in Port Vale were seen on CCTV approaching the bar, which is used by Derby fans.

Punches and kicks were subsequently thrown along with a large pub sign and a chair.

After studying the CCTV footage, Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire Police began an operation codenamed Operation Longstone, to trace those responsible.

Luke Smith, 23, of Netherfield, Nottingham; Paul Wilmot, 45, of Netherfield, Nottingham; and Dominic Humphrey, 23, of Heanor, Derbyshire were given 26-week suspended sentences, 180 hours unpaid work and a night time curfew for affray.

James Bell, 23, of Burton-upon-Trent, Staffordshire was given a 26-week suspended sentence and 150 hours unpaid work for affray.

The following men pleaded guilty to threatening behaviour: Neil King, 40, of Sherwood Vale, Nottingham was given a 12-month community order and 120 hours of unpaid work; Nigel Straw, 43, of Bobbersmill, Nottingham was fined 3,000; Simon Marshment, 31, of Burton-upon-Trent, Staffordshire and Arthur Preston, 47, of South Normanton, Derbyshire were given 12-month community orders and 120 hours of unpaid work.


The violent clash was captured on security cameras

Court shown fan violence footage
08 Sep 08 |  Derbyshire

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2020 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific