Workington has been split in two by collapsed and closed bridges
Residents and business owners are being allowed back into their properties which were affected by devastating floods in Cumbria.
Police reopened 900 properties in Cockermouth, but said they would need to be checked before people re-entered.
Cumbria county council has said the cost of damage from the floods has run into tens of millions of pounds.
Chief executive Jill Stannard said she was in talks with ministers to seek financial support for the clear-up.
Prime Minister Gordon Brown has already pledged £1m to help affected areas.
Major Phillip Curtis said the armed forces were working for a return to normality
Police have set up check points on four routes into Cockermouth and there are plans to allocate a United Utilities officer and a structural engineer to each property to ensure it is safe for entry.
A Cumbria Police spokesman said: "Many homes will be contaminated, some walls and structures may be unstable and electricity supplies may dangerous.
"All of these things must be checked before people can re-enter their property."
Ms Stannard said many people were "very frightened" about access to healthcare in areas cut off in the wake of the destruction, which hit parts of the county from Friday.
She said: "We have been reaching people over the weekend. People get very frightened - totally understandably because this is very traumatic.
"It is important that people listen to advice through the media and don't listen to rumour and gossip."
The Environment Agency said between 50mm to 100mm of rain could fall in parts of the county on Tuesday, but any flooding is not expected to be on the scale of last week.
A severe flood warning is currently in place on low lying land and roads next to the River Eamont at Eamont Bridge, Kemplay Foot, Skirsgill Lane and Southwaite Green Mill.
Ch Supt Steve Johnson said he understood it would be an emotional time for many residents
Thousands of people across the county are facing travel chaos with 16 bridges out of action and at least 25 roads closed.
Commuters are facing long detours to reach some towns and villages cut off by the destruction.
Structural engineers and military experts are carrying out an urgent safety review of 1,800 bridges.
Five secondary schools and 13 primary schools in the county are shut.
County councillor Duncan Stewart Fairbairn said: "There aren't many roads in this county that don't have a bridge of one description or other.
"It is going to be chaos. You have people in the service industries, those working in care, policemen and teachers. And some will be travelling quite long distances.
"It will be a logistical nightmare."
The town of Workington has been split in two after the collapse of the Northside bridge on Friday and the closure of the Calva bridge, which has been condemned and is feared to be on the brink of collapse.
Ch Supt Steve Johnson, of Cumbria Police, said: "Our understanding is that it either may fall down or need significant repair to get it working again.
Cumbria Police casualty bureau: 0800 0560944 or 0207 1580010
This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.