A dog owner from Carlisle was banned from keeping animals for two years after failing to get proper treatment for his pet's chronic skin condition.
Michael McCall, 49, of Petteril Terrace, was also ordered to do 60 hours unpaid work and pay £200 costs.
He appeared before magistrates after an RSPCA inspector found his cross-terrier, Scally, to be suffering from a painful and smelly skin complaint.
McCall pleaded guilty to failing to seek veterinary attention for his pet.
The inspector visited his home in September 2007, responding to a complaint by a member of the public, and again in July 2008 when the condition was found to have worsened.
McCall said he had last taken Scally to a vet in the September as he was "sick of paying for treatment".
Since then he had been trying to treat her himself with tea-tree paste.
A vet later confirmed she had been suffering from flea allergic dermatitis for a number of months.
Scally was rehomed and has since recovered.
After the hearing, RSPCA inspector Chris Towler, said: "It's unthinkable how much discomfort Scally must have been in as her condition worsened.
"This is a horrendous case of case of ignorance and neglect.
"There's simply no excuse for allowing an animal to suffer like this instead of seeking out vital veterinary treatment.
"Hopefully this will send out a warning that failing to follow veterinary advice will not be tolerated."