[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Friday, 14 January, 2005, 16:16 GMT
Charles visits flood-hit Carlisle
Prince Charles in Carlisle
The Prince wanted to see the devastation for himself
The Prince of Wales has toured the flood-ravaged city of Carlisle.

He saw for himself the devastation that left thousands of residents with sodden belongings strewn onto the streets.

The prince met homeowners in flooded Warwick Road, which was among the areas worst hit and where water still lies outside some properties.

He also visited the Stagecoach bus depot at Willow Holme estate, where damage estimated at 3m was caused to the vehicles and premises.

Three people died in the storms which began last weekend, leaving thousands of homes without power.

Clarence House said the prince was keen to give his personal support to the relief effort in the city and had been kept informed of the situation.

A spokeswoman for the prince said: "He wanted to offer his support to people who have been affected and to the emergency services."

Richard Phillips was at his Warwick Road home with his family on Saturday when water started flooding in, devastating the property.

Prince Charles met residents in Carlisle's Warwick Road
Prince Charles met residents in Carlisle's Warwick Road

He and his wife have been forced to move into temporary accommodation while their daughter, who has special-needs, is staying with her sister.

Mr Phillips has been told by an assessor that the house could take six months to put right.

He told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "It will take two months to dry out, then they have to plaster and that has to dry out and so on.

"We have found a place we can rent in a few days' time, but we have a special needs daughter and we want to get back to her as soon as possible.

"At the moment we are with friends and she is with her sister elsewhere in Carlisle but she needs to come back to us very soon."

Environment Minister Elliot Morley has already visited the city, where the cost of the flood damage could run into tens of millions of pounds.

He said plans for a 20m flood scheme for the city had been drawn up before the weekend's severe weather conditions and were in the process of being finalised.




SEE ALSO:
Flood victims to receive 50,000
13 Jan 05 |  Cumbria
Improved deal on storm pay-outs
13 Jan 05 |  Cumbria
In pictures: Carlisle floods
09 Jan 05 |  Photo Gallery


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific