[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Monday, 9 January 2006, 16:58 GMT
Firm fined after worker is burned
A Coventry flooring firm has been fined after a worker was burned using machinery with no protective guard.

The Amtico Company Limited, based in Kingfield Road, was fined 40,000 after admitting a breach of the Health and Safety at Work Act.

Warwick Crown Court heard machine operative Liaquat Ali Khan was burned by a laminator machine as he threaded a piece of PVC in between two rollers.

A fixed guard for the machine had never been put in place, the court was told.

This was the second time the flooring company has been prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).

Jenny Skeldon, prosecuting HSE inspector, said the firm failed to make sure there were "adequate measures" to prevent access to the dangerous parts of the pre-embossing machine.

"At the time of the accident involving Mr Khan there was no guard in place and access to the dangerous parts was easily accessible," she said.

"It is the employers' duty to ensure that risks to safety within the workplace are adequately assessed and that adequate control measures are implemented to avoid injury."

The firm was order to pay 8,567 costs.


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific