Residents from a Cornish care home at the centre of an abuse scandal will move to new homes in December.
Budock Hospital will close in December
It follows talks between the Cornwall Partnership Trust and Health Secretary Patricia Hewitt this week.
A report published in July into the Budock Hospital learning disabilities treatment centre said patients suffered widespread institutional abuse.
Budock's 14 residents are to be moved. Ms Hewitt said she was confident such abuses would not be repeated.
The report was published in August following an investigation by the Healthcare Commission and the Commission for Social Care Inspection.
The investigation was launched after allegations of abuse at the hands of staff at Budock Hospital, near Falmouth, run by the Cornwall Partnership NHS Trust.
The report said the scale of abuse was the worst the inspectorates had come across.
Police are carrying out an inquiry into allegations of abuse.
Patricia Hewitt met with trust bosses and patients this week
Ms Hewitt said she was convinced things had been turned around following a meeting with trust bosses this week.
Regulations are to be tightened with more frequent inspections of all UK care homes.
A director of change, Geoff Baines, has been brought in to independently oversee the move of Budock's residents. It is hoped they will be settled in their new homes in time for Christmas.
The hospital building will be returned to the Cornwall and Isles of Scilly Primary Care Trust which owns the site.
A spokesperson for Unison said the union was still waiting to hear what the future held for staff. A meeting is due to be held between union officials and trust bosses on Friday.