Page last updated at 13:52 GMT, Thursday, 5 November 2009

Father guilty of baby girl murder

Leeya Akinrele
Leeya was on life-support for 12-days before it was switched off

A man has been convicted of murdering his seven-week-old daughter, who was found with broken bones and bite wounds to her face and hands.

Ipswich Crown Court heard Leeya Akinrele was found at her home and later died in hospital in 2006.

Leeya's father, Olusola Akinrele, 34, of Whittlesey, Cambridgeshire, had denied murder.

The child's mother, Kelly Inman, 22, also of Whittlesey, admitted allowing the baby's death.

She was cleared of murder and causing the baby's death.

Paramedics found Leeya at her parent's home on 18 December 2006.

Repeatedly assaulted

She died 12 days later after a hospital life-support machine was turned off when doctors decided that there was no prospect of recovery.

Baby Leeya was completely failed by the very people she should have been able to rely on to care for her and protect her from harm
Sylvia Cundell, CPS

Prosecutor Yvonne Coen QC said evidence showed Leeya had been repeatedly assaulted.

She had suffered brain damage and other injuries including a fractured skull, fractured thigh and broken ribs and fingers.

Ms Coen said checks by doctors revealed that the baby's face and fingers had been bitten by an adult.

"In the two-and-a-half weeks following her birth, Leeya underwent routine checks by midwives and a health visitor and her condition had not caused concern.

Leeya Akinrele's mother admitted allowing the baby's death

"In the 24 days leading up to a 999 call, Leeya had not been seen by health professionals and was in the care of her parents.

"Baby Leeya was completely failed by the very people she should have been able to rely on to care for her and protect her from harm," said Sylvia Cundell from the Crown Prosecution Service.

Inman and Akinrele will be sentenced at a later date which is yet to be confirmed.

Serious case review

Felicity Schofield, chairman of Cambridgeshire Local Children's Safeguarding Board, said after the verdict was announced that a serious case review would take place.

"The death of any child is a tragedy and our thoughts and sympathies are with everyone who knew Leeya during her brief life," she said.

"The Local Safeguarding Children Board has initiated a serious case review which will look at the nature and circumstances surrounding her death and whether there is any learning for any agency or organisation in Cambridgeshire.

"The review needs to take account of information arising from the trial, including the detailed medical evidence, and cannot be completed until after the end of the court proceedings.

"The executive summary of the serious case review will be published when the review has been completed and has been evaluated by Ofsted."

Print Sponsor

Mother cleared of daughter murder
04 Nov 09 |  Cambridgeshire
Baby murder accused 'was beaten'
22 Sep 09 |  Cambridgeshire
Baby girl 'murdered' by parents
03 Sep 09 |  Cambridgeshire

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2020 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific