Page last updated at 14:27 GMT, Thursday, 3 September 2009 15:27 UK

Parents charged with baby murder

A seven-week-old girl died after suffering a fractured skull and bites on her face and hands inflicted by an adult, jurors have been told.

An ambulance crew found Leeya Akinrele at her home in Whittlesey, Cambridgeshire, on 18 December 2006, Ipswich Crown Court heard.

She died in hospital 12 days later when her life support machine was turned off as there was no prospect of recovery.

Leeya's parents, Kelly Inman, 22, and Olusola Akinrele, 34, both deny murder.

Brain damage

Mr Akinrele also denies causing or allowing Leeya's death. Ms Inman also denies causing Leeya's death.

Leeya had been repeatedly assaulted, had suffered brain damage and fractures to her thigh, ribs and fingers, prosecutor Yvonne Coen QC said.

Checks by doctors revealed the baby's face and fingers had been bitten by an adult, she said.

Midwives and a health visitors had seen the child during the two-and-a-half weeks following her birth and her condition had not caused concern.

But Miss Coen told jurors in the 24 days leading up to a 999 call to the ambulance service, Leeya had not been seen by health professionals and had been in the care of her parents.

The trial continues.

Print Sponsor

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2020 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific