Page last updated at 11:00 GMT, Wednesday, 28 May 2008 12:00 UK

Factory fire started accidentally

Factory fire (Pic by Thomas Sisman)
The building's interior was completely destroyed (Pic by Thomas Sisman)

A fire that destroyed a Cambridgeshire family's business premises was caused accidentally, investigators have said.

The blaze broke out in a factory unit at K2B Express Couriers and Logistics on Bury Lane Industrial Estate in Ramsey on Tuesday afternoon.

It was started when a grinding process overheated.

Thirty firefighters were called to the scene and neighbouring premises were evacuated because of a fear that acetylene gas cylinders might explode.

The fire destroyed all of the building's interior and its contents and one man was treated by paramedics for smoke inhalation.

Ronnie Booth, from Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service, said: "Crews did an excellent job in containing the fire and in evacuating those nearby.

"A garage, a number of homes and vehicles are situated in close proximity.

"Firefighters managed to prevent the fire spreading to these buildings and vehicles while keeping the gas cylinders inside cool."


SEE ALSO
Fire crews tackle factory blaze
27 May 08 |  Cambridgeshire

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC iD

Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2017 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific