A group of travellers have been told they must leave their camp by Monday or face eviction.
Travellers have until midnight on Monday to leave the Cottenham site
Last month South Cambs District Council issued formal notices to the owners and occupiers of 22 illegally-developed plots at the Smithy Fen traveller site.
An enforcement notice allows the council to enter parts of the site at Cottenham and clear it.
However, the occupiers of these plots have, so far, failed to act and the deadline expires at midnight.
The notices asked the travellers to remove caravans and hardcore from the plots directly behind Victoria View as they did not have planning permission.
A council spokesperson said: "The ball is firmly in their court.
"They need to take action to clean up the site and move on.
"If they do not, the council reserves the right to take direct action to remove the caravans and hardcore plus associated drainage and water and electricity installations from those plots.
"Even after the final warning letters were issued almost four weeks ago we have continued to give them advice about their options."
However, traveller John Sheridan said the council had launched the action too late.
He also claimed the council had been exploiting their inability to read.
Right to remain
"We're all illiterate. We've requested to the council if they want they can put it on a DVD and we can listen to it on the radio.
"We can't read or write so we won't be able to understand the forms that they bring down.
"We've told them this and they've just ignored us."
A travellers' site has existed near Cottenham for 40 years and 33 caravans have the right to remain.