Page last updated at 18:18 GMT, Friday, 27 March 2009

Fears cat deaths could be poison

The deaths of nine cats in Bristol could be down to being poisoned by anti-freeze, a vet has suggested.

The majority of the deaths were reported in the Brislington area of the city during the past few months.

RSPCA spokeswoman, Jo Barr, said it was not clear where the anti-freeze may be coming from.

She said it was difficult to tell if there was a malicious motive behind the deaths or if the source could be a car leaking onto a garage or driveway.

"It is possible the source could be an old leaking car sitting in a garage or on a driveway. But it is equally possible that this is deliberate," Ms Barr said.

'Sweet taste'

Anti-freeze is attractive to cats because of its apparent sweet smell and taste. However, it causes kidney and liver failure which are fatal if not treated immediately.

Ms Barr added: "We do know of cases when people have laced fish and cat food etc to target cats."

A spokesman for Highcroft Veterinary Group, which has treated some of the animals, has advised owners to contact their veterinary surgeon if their cat is displaying symptoms including vomiting, not eating, lethargy, or seizures.

It has also asked the public to be careful when handling or disposing of anti-freeze products.



Print Sponsor


SEE ALSO
Anti-freeze cat poisoner sought
06 Aug 08 |  Somerset
RSPCA fears over cat poisonings
06 Nov 08 |  West Midlands

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific