[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Saturday, 23 July, 2005, 09:55 GMT 10:55 UK
Mother and children escape fire
A candle set fire to the bedroom of a house in Bristol while a mother and her three children slept.

The woman and the youngsters, aged 13, 10 and nine, managed to escape the blaze, which broke out early on Saturday in Elmtree Drive, Withywood.

Firefighters rescued two pet parrots and two hamsters trapped inside.

It is understood that the candle was lit and placed on a chest of drawers by the teenage daughter who woke earlier, but who fell asleep again.

A smoke alarm in the house failed to go off, but the girl was roused by the heat from the flames and alerted her family.

Avon Fire Service is reminding people to be careful when using candles and to ensure there are smoke detectors on every floor of their house.


SEE ALSO:
Candle safety scheme wins award
20 May 05 |  Leicestershire
Candle warning ignites safety row
28 Apr 05 |  Derbyshire


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific