[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Friday, 17 October, 2003, 05:32 GMT 06:32 UK
Shower death prompts criticism
A coroner has criticised Bristol City Council after an inquest heard how a tenant was electrocuted by a faulty shower.

Sean Quinn's family are considering legal action after coroner Fiona Elder said she was concerned the maintenance of electrical systems in the house.

Mr Quinn, 21, was taking a bath when the shower head fell into the water, causing him to suffer a massive electric shock and heart attack, Bristol Coroner's Court was told.

He was living with his grandparents, John and Sheila Quinn, who moved into the property in Huntingham Road, Bristol, seven years ago.

Recording a verdict of accidental death, the assistant deputy coroner said the council should think about whether it needed a better maintenance contract, or a system of yearly inspections.

But the council said in a statement that there was no legal requirement for annual checks.

"The shower was not installed by Bristol City Council nor was approval ever given for its installation," it said.




RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific