The development was approved after revised plans were submitted
A demonstration has been held by campaigners desperate to save Bradford's Odeon from being demolished.
Last month councillors approved a £40m redevelopment of the site which will include a 100-bed hotel, bars, cafes and leisure facilities.
The Bradford Odeon Rescue Group (Borg) have been fighting to save the 1930s building which they say is an iconic landmark in the city.
The demonstration was held at Centenary Square on Saturday.
Plans for the development on Princes Way were revised after a public consultation last year.
The project was scaled down, with its value reduced from £55m to £40m and it is expected to bring about 1,400 jobs to the city.
Bradford council said before it could progress, the development had to be formally approved by the government.
Kate Welham, a member of Borg, said Saturday's demonstration had attracted interest from a variety of people.
"There is this idea that there's only a certain age group that want to save the Odeon but that's not the case.
"There's a lot of young people who are keen to save it and on Saturday there's a mixture of people from civic trusts, students and random teenagers who have seen the campaign group on Facebook."
Ms Welham said she was hopeful campaigners could still do something to stop the development from going ahead.
"The Odeon is a unique building and has so much history attached to it.
"We'll be getting a petition together on Saturday to do all we can to try and fight the demolition."
The Odeon, formerly known as the New Victoria, was opened in 1930.
It was the largest indoor concert venue in the north of England and became the first choice of singers and performers on tour including The Beatles and the Rolling Stones.