Page last updated at 16:32 GMT, Thursday, 12 February 2009

Gas safety drive reaches schools

Dominic Rodgers
Dominic Rodgers died from carbon monoxide poisoning

A woman whose 10-year-old son died from carbon monoxide poisoning is helping to teach schoolchildren about the dangers of the gas.

Dominic Rodgers died in February 2004 when fumes seeped into his bedroom in Huddersfield.

His mother Stacey founded the The Kirklees Carbon Monoxide Awareness Group (KCMAG) after his death.

The group has put together interactive science workshops and assemblies which are being trialled in primary schools.

The workshops include interactive quizzes and noisy demonstrations and end with a short test to see how much the children have taken on board.

The project was launched on Thursday, the fifth anniversary of Dominic's death, at Christ Church Woodhouse School, where he was a pupil.

'Lasting legacy'

One of his friends, Callum Bradshaw, marked the occasion by reading an emotional poem.

Mrs Rodgers said: "For the past few months, KCOAG has been looking at how we could get the message out to children so that they'd understand but not be frightened and learn something they'd remember for the rest of their lives.

"It's been an emotional week, it's like a run up to it knowing that the anniversary is coming up because you never know what you are going to be like on the day but it's just been full of laughs, full of bangs and there's been all the emotion with the boy's poem..."

Head teacher Jennifer Davies said: "I think it's so appropriate that the carbon monoxide schools project has been launched here. It's a wonderful way to remember Dominic and a real lasting legacy.

"The children really enjoyed the science assembly, they've learned valuable information in a fun and accessible way and they'll take the important message about gas safety home to their parents."

Advertisement

Pupils learn of poison danger



Print Sponsor


SEE ALSO
Award for gas safety campaigners
20 Sep 08 |  Bradford
Boy's gas death prompts campaign
02 Feb 06 |  West Yorkshire
Boy's death caused by faulty flue
03 Nov 05 |  West Yorkshire
Gas death sparks checks on homes
22 Oct 04 |  West Yorkshire

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC iD

Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2017 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific