[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Friday, 17 March 2006, 17:12 GMT
Five guilty of Mary-Ann's murder
Mary-Ann Leneghan
Mary-Ann was found dead in a park in Reading
Five men have been found guilty of murdering Mary-Ann Leneghan after she was kidnapped, raped, and tortured.

Adrian Thomas, 20, Jamaile Morally, 22, his brother Joshua Morally, 23, and Llewellyn Adams, 24, all from south London, were convicted on Friday.

Earlier in the trial 19-year-old Michael Johnson, of Southfields, pleaded guilty to murdering the 16-year-old, from Reading in Berkshire.

No murder verdict has yet been reached on Indrit Krasniqi, 18, of Chiswick.

Stab wounds

Mary-Ann and her 18-year-old friend were abducted in central Reading last May before being taken to a guest house where they were raped and tortured. They were then driven to Prospect Park to be killed.

Mary-Ann died from repeated stab wounds while her friend, who cannot be named, was shot in the head but survived.

Thomas, of Battersea, was found guilty of attempted murder, kidnap, rape of Mary-Ann, rape of Mary-Ann's friend and assault on the friend.

A floral tribute to Mary -Ann in Reading's Prospect Park
Floral tributes were laid to Mary-Ann in Reading's Prospect Park

Jamaile Morally, of Balham, was also found guilty of attempted murder, kidnap, rape of Mary-Ann, rape of Mary-Ann's friend and assault on the unnamed girl.

He was also found guilty of an additional count of rape on the older girl.

His brother, Joshua Morally, also of Balham, was convicted of attempted murder and the rape of both girls.

He previously admitted to kidnap and assault on the older girl.

Michael Johnson earlier admitted to the murder of Mary-Ann, her friend's attempted murder and to kidnapping both girls.

Deliberations to continue

Johnson was found guilty on Friday of raping both girls and of assault on the older girl.

The gang's driver, Adams, of Balham, was also found guilty of attempted murder and kidnap of both girls, but was cleared of rape and assault.

The jury have yet to return verdicts for Indrit Krasniqi in relation to murder, attempted murder and rape, but he was convicted of other charges of kidnapping and assaulting Mary-Ann's friend.

All six men were cleared of other charges of raping Mary-Ann.

Mr Justice Penry-Davey sent the jury home for the weekend and asked them to return on Monday to continue their deliberations.

How the ordeal unfolded for Mary-Ann and her friend

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific