An assault charge made against a 49-year-old man after he made a citizen's arrest on a youth he believed was throwing apples has been dropped.
Roland Digby alleges crab apples were hurled at his house in Royston, Hertfordshire, three times in one week.
On the third occasion he gave chase to youths he thought responsible and made a citizen's arrest on one.
Hertfordshire Police said the CPS had decided to drop the charge "after lengthy consideration".
After the incident Mr Digby was charged with assault and appeared at Stevenage Magistrates' Court last Thursday.
Hertfordshire Police said in a statement: "Following an extensive review by the Crown Prosecution Service a decision has been made to drop charges against Mr Roland Digby.
"This decision was taken... in full recognition of the challenging circumstances surrounding the case, which has understandably generated considerable public interest."
Courier driver Mr Digby said he and his wife had made several calls to the police after the apple-throwing incidents but that nobody had asked him for his side of the story before he was arrested.
'No damage found'
He complained to the police and the Independent Police Complaints Commission, he said.
Hertfordshire Police added: "The incidents reported on 31 August and 1 September saw officers arrive on scene within eight minutes, speak with Mr Digby and conduct a full search of the area.
"No damage or injuries had been caused.
"On the evening of 3 September we can confirm that officers were dispatched again within minutes to deal with a report of nuisance youths.
"They spoke with Mr Digby, conducted an area search and whilst engaged with that investigation were deployed to the allegation of assault for which Mr Digby was subsequently arrested."