A batch of jelly Easter eggs have been taken off the shelves at Waitrose supermarkets after a teenager nearly died after an allergic reaction to one.
Waitrose took the eggs off its shelves as a precaution
Joshua Parvin, 19, of Stevenage, Herts, who is allergic to milk, ate a Waitrose Jelly Mini Egg, which the ingredients said should not contain milk chocolate.
But he suffered an allergic reaction which his mother, Jacqueline Harniman, believes was due to milk in the egg.
Waitrose has started an inquiry and taken the eggs off its shelves.
A spokeswoman for Waitrose said an investigation had been launched into the Jelly Mini Egg, which should not contain milk chocolate or any milk product.
She said the Jelly Mini Egg that Mr Parvin bought had been handed in to a local branch of the store and would be examined to find out for certain if it contained a milk product.
She added: "As soon as we were notified about this all products were removed from our shelves as a precautionary measure, and we are investigating this as a matter of urgency."
Mr Parvin suffered an anaphylactic shock in which his airways swelled.
The 19-year-old was injected with adrenalin and taken to hospital within minutes of eating the egg on Thursday night.
'Lips were blue'
His mother Jacqueline Harniman said if he had not been given treatment immediately he would have died.
Ms Harniman said: "His face swelled so much his face was blue and his lips were so blue that they were almost black.
"If it had been a young child (with the same condition as Joshua) that had eaten the egg they would have died.
"These products, by their very nature, are likely to have been bought for people who are allergic to milk products."