A director of a painting and decorating company has been fined £16,000 with £12,000 costs over the death of an employee who fell through a roof light.
Michael McCarthy of MJM Ltd, admitted breaches of health and safety rules before Milton Keynes magistrates court.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigated the death of Lucian Vuta who fell from a warehouse roof on 14 October 2004 at Olney, Buckinghamshire.
Mr Vuta had been working on an asbestos cement roof painting external cladding.
'Wake up call'
On leaving the roof he inadvertently stood on a fragile roof light which fractured causing him to fall 25ft (8m) to the concrete floor below.
The court heard that suitable and sufficient measures had not been taken to prevent the fall or to minimise injury by using coverings and safety netting.
Mr McCarthy admitted breaching sections of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.
HSE investigating inspector Trevor Tollervey said: "This tragic death should be taken as a wake up call to all involved in building repair and maintenance work.
"I therefore urge all contractors and building owners to check that adequate precautions are being taken to prevent falls through fragile roofs and roof lights."