A decision on whether there will be a public inquiry into the Potters Bar train crash will be made by the end of next week, the government has said.
The Department for Transport (DTI) said it has not been able to make a decision as quickly as it had hoped.
A DTI spokesman said there are a number of issues that deserve further scrutiny and examination.
It had been thought that Transport Secretary Alistair Darling would make a decision on Friday.
The spokesman said the decision will be made by 9 December then communicated to families of the deceased and to Parliament.
Six passengers and a passer-by were killed when a London to King's Lynn train derailed close to Potters Bar station in 2002.
The CPS ruled in October that no rail or maintenance staff would face charges.
The ruling meant there would be no possibility of staff from Railtrack, now Network Rail, and from Jarvis, the company responsible for maintaining the stretch of track at Potters Bar, facing manslaughter charges.