[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Sunday, 19 September, 2004, 10:29 GMT 11:29 UK
Landlord's kiss saves spin kitten
Frankie the kitten
Frankie had been asleep in some towels before his brush with danger
A pub landlord gave his wife's kitten the kiss of life after accidentally putting it into the washing machine while it slept in a pile of towels.

Vets told 43-year-old Stuart Warden that his quick-thinking had saved 12-week-old Frankie's life.

"I thought artificial respiration would blow water out of his lungs and the vet said it probably saved him," he said.

Mr Warden is a former fireman who runs the Swan Inn at Whissonsett, Norfolk, with his wife Suzanne, 41.

The landlord, who also works as a part-time printer in Heybridge, Essex, said he put a pile of towels into the machine without realising the ginger tom had bedded down in them.

"He was probably going around in the machine for about five minutes before we realised. I could hear him crying, but didn't know where he was," said Mr Warden.

Mr Warden said the kitten was wobbly for a few days after the incident.

He had water in his lungs and suffered from hypothermia.

But he seems to have made a full recovery.


SEE ALSO:
Kitten shaken and spun in washer
11 Sep 04  |  Bristol/Somerset


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific