A nursery where an allergic child died after eating a milk product has been fined £60,000 and has been ordered to pay £19,000 costs.
Thomas Egan died from anaphylactic shock
Jigsaw Day Nurseries Ltd was sentenced at Aylesbury Crown Court on Thursday.
Thomas Egan, who was five months old, had been diagnosed with an allergy to all dairy products.
A nurse at the Jigsaw Day Nursery in Browns Wood, Milton Keynes, fed Thomas a breakfast cereal, not realising it contained milk.
The baby turned blue, struggled to breathe, and died from massive anaphylactic shock - a severe allergic reaction.
His parents, Wendy and Gordon Egan, criticised the fine, calling it "a slap on the wrist".
Nursery admitted failure
The firm had pleaded guilty in August at Milton Keynes Magistrates Court, but the case was referred to Aylesbury Crown Court.
The company admitted a failure in its duty to ensure that children were not exposed to risks to their health under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.
Early last year, Wendy Egan, of Old Farm Park, Milton Keynes, sought out a day nursery for her son, who was born in October, 2001.
During meetings with staff at Jigsaw Day Nursery, Mrs Egan told them of her son's allergy, and gave explicit instructions concerning his diet.
But on 11 April last year, Thomas was fed Farley's Sunrise Breakfast Cereal.
The nursery nurse who fed him had not checked the label, and the ingredients contained dried milk.
Jigsaw Day Nursery operates 36 nurseries across the country - employing 950 people - and is involved in the care of 4,000 children.