Page last updated at 12:06 GMT, Saturday, 9 October 2010 13:06 UK

Timeline: Justice for Rachel Nickell

Map of Robert Napper's crimes
1) 1989-1994:
String of sex attacks in Mottingham and Plumstead which became known as the Green Chain rapes. One involved a woman who was with her young child.

2) 1992:
Rachel Nickell killed on Wimbledon Common in front of her two-year-old son.

3) 1993:
Murder of Samantha Bissett and her four-year-old daughter Jazmine in Plumstead.

Here are key events surrounding the case of Robert Napper who has pleaded guilty to the killing of Rachel Nickell on Wimbledon Common:

August 1986: Napper stopped and arrested for possession of a loaded air weapon in a public place. Given 12-month conditional discharge.

August 1989: First Green Chain rape. This charge is dropped during the trial in October 1995.

November 1989: Napper's mother, Pauline Lasham, tells police that Napper confessed to a rape in Plumstead Common. Officers fail to find details about that rape because it happened in Plumstead, not on the common. Nothing is done.

March 1992: Attempted rape of second victim. Napper later pleads guilty at the Old Bailey in October 1995. Attempted rape of third victim a week later. Napper admits the offence at the Old Bailey in October 1995.

Robert Napper

May 1992: Fourth rape. Napper pleads guilty at the Old Bailey in October 1995.

July 1992: Rachel Nickell is killed.

August 1992: Police release E-fit and description of suspect for the rapes. Napper's neighbour tells detectives he matches the description. Officers visit Napper and ask him to provide a blood and saliva sample which he fails to do.

September 1992: A Crimestoppers viewer names Napper as looking like the E-fit. Police return to Napper's house and leave a letter asking him to provide samples for a second time which he ignores again.

Two weeks later Colin Stagg is arrested for the murder of Rachel Nickell.

October 1992: Napper is eliminated from the rape investigation as being too tall, despite one rape victim initially giving his correct height, which she later changed.

Napper is arrested for possession of a firearm and ammunition without a certificate. He is sentenced to eight weeks imprisonment in December 1992.

April 1993: Napper's fingerprints are identified on a tin found in February 1993 buried on Winns Common and containing a handgun. This is not pursued.

August 1993: Colin Stagg is charged with the murder of Rachel Nickell.

November 1993: Samantha and Jazmine Bissett are killed at their Plumstead home.

January 1994: Napper is arrested for shoplifting sweets in Plumstead High Street and given a 12-month conditional discharge.

May 1994: Napper's fingerprints are identified at the Bissett flat. Napper is arrested and charged with the Bissett murders and a DNA sample is taken.

July 1994: Napper is charged with two rapes and two attempted rapes. An internal review of the rape investigations is launched.

September 1994: Colin Stagg is acquitted of the murder of Rachel Nickell. A review of the Rachel Nickell inquiry is launched.

November 1994: Napper is interviewed by Rachel Nickell detectives but he denies involvement and there is no evidence against him.

October 1995: Napper admits the two manslaughters, a rape and two attempted rapes at the Old Bailey. Another rape charge is dropped.

December 1995: Napper is interviewed in prison over Rachel Nickell's death.

October 2001: A review of the Rachel Nickell case is launched.

Samantha Bissett and her daughter Jazmine
Napper stabbed Samantha Bissett and smothered her daughter, Jazmine

December 2001: The Forensic Science Service re-examines exhibits but again fails to find any DNA.

January 2002: The Metropolitan Police (Met) asks rival firm, LGC Forensics, to work on the review.

July 2004: LGC Forensics find a mixed profile from taping taken off of Rachel's body. The Metropolitan Police assigns a murder squad to the case. The DNA profile is later matched to Napper.

June 2006: Napper is interviewed under caution for five days at Broadmoor Hospital over Rachel Nickell's death but again denies any involvement.

February to October 2007: An independent review of the forensic evidence rules out contamination of samples.

December 2007: Napper is charged with the murder of Rachel Nickell.

August 2008: Colin Stagg receives £706,000 in compensation from the Home Office.

December 2008: Napper pleads guilty to killing Rachel Nickell. The Met rejects calls for an inquiry into errors made when investigating Rachel Nickell's killing in 1992.

September 2009: Rachel Nickell's partner Andre Hanscombe instructs his lawyers in a bid to bring the police to account for failings in the case.

November 2009: Andre Hanscombe writes to apologise to Colin Stagg. He also complains to the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) about failures by the Metropolitan force in the years before her killer struck.

June 2010: The IPCC reports the Met committed "bad errors" and "missed opportunities" to stop the killer of Rachel Nickell before her death.

October 2010: It emerges that the Metropolitan Police will not offer compensation to Rachel Nickell's partner Andre Hanscombe or their son Alex who, as a two-year-old, witnessed his mother's murder.

Print Sponsor

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific