Mr Rooney claims the photographer followed him into a restaurant
Footballer Wayne Rooney has said he is "blameless" after he was questioned by police for allegedly spitting at a paparazzi photographer.
The England and Manchester United star has been interviewed under caution after the incident in Hanway Street, central London, on Tuesday evening.
The 22-year-old was leaving a restaurant with his wife Coleen when the incident happened.
He was spoken to by police at a neutral venue but was not arrested.
A spokesman for Mr Rooney said: "Wayne was interviewed by police in connection with an alleged minor offence involving a paparazzi photographer who had been persistently invading his and Coleen's privacy throughout the evening.
"This included the photographer following the couple into a restaurant from which he had to be evicted.
"Wayne was happy to co-operate fully and to give a clear version of the events in which he believes he was blameless."
A Metropolitan Police spokesman said: "We received a third party allegation that a photographer had been spat at by an individual outside a restaurant in Hanway Street.
"Officers established the incident occurred at approximately 10.20pm on Tuesday evening.
"The alleged suspect, a 22-year-old male, was spoken to by police.
"He was not arrested and did not attend a police station. Inquiries continue."
In law, deliberately spitting at someone is an offence of common assault.