[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Friday, 19 January 2007, 19:36 GMT
Two-year-old storm victim named
Saurav Ghai, who died when a wall fell on him
Saurav Ghai was killed when a wall fell on him in north London

A two-year-old boy who died when a wall fell on him during Thursday's storms has been named by police.

Saurav Ghai was crushed under the wall in Kentish Town, north-west London, while walking with his childminder.

At least 11 people are now known to have died across England, with damage estimated to run into hundreds of millions of pounds.

Rail and air passengers still faced some disruption, though most trains were running normally by the afternoon.

Electricity suppliers were restoring power to homes but thousands were still waiting to be reconnected.

'Worst weather passed'

Most firms hoped to restore power by the end of Friday.

Winds of up to 99mph brought chaos to many parts of the country on Thursday, bringing down trees, masonry and overhead power lines and blowing over lorries.

Fatal crash near Skipton, North Yorkshire
A lorry driver died when her vehicle fell into a canal in Yorkshire

Winds were still strong on Friday and the Environment Agency still had seven flood warnings in place, but the weather was considerably calmer than during Thursday's storms and the BBC Weather Centre said the worst of the wind and rain had passed.

But as the clear-up went on, rail companies had to operate reduced services as debris was cleared from lines, though by mid-afternoon most firms were running normal services, with the Stansted Express and GNER services from London to Scotland via York and Newcastle among the few still affected.

GNER spokesman Alan Hyde said: "We have been working hard to ensure that our trains and crews are in the right places to run as normal a service as possible."

Airlines had to cancel dozens of flights because crews and aircraft were in the wrong places following the disruption.

A large container ship which was holed in the English Channel was being towed to the Devon coast.

MSC Napoli - Picture: AFP/Getty Images

The London-based MSC Napoli began to sink about 50 miles off the Lizard, Cornwall, on Thursday lunchtime and its 26-strong crew had to be rescued by Navy helicopters.

Many schools were closed on Friday because of damage to buildings or because of power cuts.

The Highways Agency said there were no major problems on the roads, although a number of A-roads are thought to have sections closed because of fallen trees, flooding or accidents.

In addition to the 11 people killed, a number of others were injured by flying debris, falling branches and in road accidents caused by the weather.

Police forces around England were also investigating whether several other deaths, including victims of road accidents and people who had heart attacks while out in strong winds, could be attributed to the storms.


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific