[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Friday, 27 October 2006, 17:21 GMT 18:21 UK
No charges for Forest Gate victim
Abul Koyair, 20, and his injured brother Mohammed Abdulkahar
Mr Koyair and Mr Abdulkahar were released without charge
The Crown Prosecution Service has advised police not to bring child pornography charges against a man shot during a terror raid in Forest Gate.

Mohammed Abdulkahar, 23, was shot in the shoulder by police at his east London home on 2 June.

He and his brother Abul Koyair, 20, were later released without charge.

Mr Abdulkahar was later arrested on suspicion of making pornographic pictures of children, which his solicitor said he "strenuously denied".

Police said computer and electrical equipment had been seized during the search of Mr Abdulkahar's house and passed to the Child Abuse Investigation Command for further examination.

On Friday a Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) spokesman said 44 indecent images of children had been found in the memories of a Dell computer, an external computer hard-drive and various mobile phones.

It can be a recognised defence to making an image if a person comes into possession of material that is unsolicited and/or unwanted and quickly deletes that material
CPS

Of the total, 23 had been "embedded" images - which could have been inadvertently downloaded on the back of other computer files - and 21, on the external hard-drive and a Nokia 3G mobile, had been "deleted".

The spokesman said: "To transfer to the phone, the suspect would have to have specialist knowledge.

"There was no evidence that Mr Abdulkahar had possession of, or access to, equipment or the technical knowledge to do so."

There was no certain creation or deletion date for 15 of the 21 deleted images, the spokesman added.

The remaining six appeared to have been quickly deleted, which is a recognised defence in law, she said.

We cannot help but observe that there was a never-ending avalanche of stories apparently leaked to the press
Mr Abdulkahar's family

Later on Friday Mr Abdulkahar's family said he had been "first shot and then very publicly accused of things he knew nothing of and of which he was completely innocent".

"We cannot help but observe that there was a never-ending avalanche of stories apparently leaked to the press," the family's statement added.

"We have the right to expect that a proper inquiry is made of who provided the stories and why.

"Meanwhile, we thank our friends who have never believed for a moment any allegations that suggested that the Kahar they know and trust was indeed a different person."




RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific