Child murderer Ian Huntley has been returned from hospital to Wakefield Prison, a day after trying to kill himself there.
Huntley was convicted of the schoolgirls' murders in 2003
He was found unconscious in his cell early on Tuesday after a suspected overdose.
He was taken to Pinderfields Hospital in Wakefield, where he was kept under police guard during treatment.
The 32-year-old received two life terms for murdering Jessica Chapman and Holly Wells in Soham, Cambridgeshire in 2002.
A Home Office statement on Wednesday afternoon said: "Ian Huntley left Pinderfields Hospital at 11.30am today and was returned to the healthcare wing of HMP Wakefield.
"Earlier this morning he saw a consultant who approved his transfer back to the prison.
"Huntley continues to be managed according to Prison Service policy on the prevention of suicide and self-harm. In particular he will be subject to Assessment, Care in Custody and Teamwork (ACCT) procedures through which his risk will be continually assessed.
"The Prison Service works to minimise the risk of any prisoner taking their own life, but it cannot eliminate that risk entirely."
An urgent review of how Huntley is supervised is being carried out by the head of the Prison Service's Standards Audit Unit, Rob Kellett.
Huntley first tried to kill himself in June 2003 after saving up 29 anti-depressant pills in a box of teabags while awaiting trial for the murder of the two 10-year-old schoolgirls.
An official report into the 2003 suicide attempt, which was released by the Home Office just eight weeks ago, said Huntley presented an "ongoing significant risk of self-harm".
"In managing him, the safest strategy is to assume he will commit another act of self-harm if given the opportunity," it said.
Prison sources have told the BBC that Huntley was on liquid medication and it was unclear how he had stored medicine for his latest suicide bid.
In September 2005, High Court judge Mr Justice Moses ruled that Huntley, originally from Grimsby, North East Lincolnshire, must serve at least 40 years in prison.
He said the killings did not meet the criteria for a "whole-life tariff", but the 40-year term offered "little or no hope" of his release.