[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Sunday, 2 July 2006, 08:56 GMT 09:56 UK
England fans arrested in Germany
England fan being arrested
England fans who were arrested have now been released
German police have arrested 120 England football fans in Gelsenkirchen after the team was knocked out of the World Cup by Portugal.

Saturday's quarter-final game went to penalties which Portugal won 3-1.

After the match more than 150 England and Portugal fans were involved in clashes with police on Jersey. There were 25 arrests, Jersey Police said.

The England team are set to return to the UK later on Sunday. Their plane is expected in London and Manchester.

I was convinced we had a team who could reach the final
Sven-Goran Eriksson

Police in Gelsenkirchen said many of the detentions were preventative and added that all of the fans have already been released.

In total 180 fans were held and the others were mainly Germans, a spokesman said.

The spokesman added: "They have all been released, many after having to sober up."

Unrest on the streets of Jersey's capital St Helier began shortly after the Portugal win and officers sealed off an area of Portuguese shops and businesses.

Around 10% of Jersey's population is of Portuguese origin.

It only the second time in the island's history that riot police have been deployed there.

Meanwhile, after the match, Sven-Goran Eriksson, who steps down as England manager, spoke of his sadness and anger at being out of the tournament.

"To get over this will take a long time. I was convinced we had a team who could reach the final.

"Four years ago we reached a quarter final and that was a good result but this time it is not good enough. We should be in the final. The quality of the squad is that good."

An estimated 26 million people in the UK watched the match, while up to 70,000 fans were in the German town of Gelsenkirchen.

They were left reeling as first captain David Beckham went off with an injury, and then striker Wayne Rooney was sent off with a red card.


Watching in Gelsenkirchen, Richard Chapman, 39, a company director, from Wickford, Essex, said: "With Rooney it was frustration. If you play somebody who is hungry, and don't feed them, that sort of thing is going to happen."

Things went from bad to worse for England as the goalless game ended in a penalty shoot-out.

Ray Johnston, 40, an electrician from Enfield, north London, who watched the game in the stadium, said: "I had my hopes when it started. I thought, surely it can't happen again, but it has."

Mark Sharp, 45, a heavy goods driver from Nottingham, said: "We never win on penalties, do we?

"I knew as soon as it went to penalties, that was it."

In Harlesden, north London, the mood was celebratory as jubilant Portuguese fans drove up and down the high street cheering, and waving flags from their cars.

But in Bolton, Greater Manchester, up to 500 drunken football fans attacked police in a major disturbance.

Police say they were overwhelmed by the trouble which lasted for around two and a half hours.

Twelve people were arrested but no-one was injured.

England's loss felt by fans at home and abroad

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific