[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Tuesday, 29 March, 2005, 14:09 GMT 15:09 UK
Jonathan King told to 'shut up'
Jonathan King leaving prison
King says he intends to resume his career in music
Convicted paedophile Jonathan King has been told to "shut up" for his victims' sake as he continues to protest his innocence after his release from jail.

The disgraced music mogul was a "danger to young boys" and his "perversions" caused revulsion, Victims of Crime Trust's Norman Brennan has said.

King has been released on parole after serving half a seven-year jail term.

As he left Maidstone Prison in Kent, King said: "I'm totally, absolutely 100% innocent."

He said his legal team had "guaranteed" he would be cleared on appeal.

Palace comment

Supporters handed out free copies of King's new CD, while King told reporters he had "enjoyed" his time in prison.

King, 60, was jailed in 2001 for four indecent assaults and two serious sexual offences on boys aged 14 and 15.

I'm totally, absolutely, 100% innocent
Jonathan King

He said: "I've had a brilliant three-and-a-half years for crimes I did not commit.

"I'm innocent of the charges against me. There is no issue of the acts being consensual, there were no acts. However much people try, you can't bend the truth.

"There's no truth in the offences whatsoever. One of the five men I am accused of abusing I have never even met and there is no evidence I ever did meet him."

But Mr Brennan said the only person who thinks King is innocent is "himself".

"He used his position of fame and celebrity thinking victims would not come forward and give evidence against him. But he is wrong," he said.

"The best thing for him to do for the sake of his victims brave enough to give evidence is to just shut up."

Clarence House also issued a statement dismissing King's claims that Prince Charles sent him a letter of support.

A spokesman said King wrote to Charles several years ago and a reply was issued from the office, but not from the Prince.

Future plans

King is now banned from working with children, must stay at a specified address and not receive visits from anyone under 18 without police permission, his lawyer Giovanni di Stefano said.

"He's a man with talent and talent shines. Many great people suffer what he's suffered and just get on with their lives," he said.

Mr di Stefano said his client intends to write a musical about Cole Porter. King has also promised to campaign for people falsely accused of crimes.

King was charged for offences committed between 1983 and 1989 after an investigation by Surrey Police.

He denied the charges at his trial and has never admitted his guilt.

The former pop mogul said he had been "fascinated" by life in prison.

"You meet fascinating people and get to see the other side of the world, one that you never knew existed.

"Like most people, I had the view that once the prison gate slams shut, hell takes place, but the reality couldn't be further from the truth.

"I have had no complaints at all about my time inside, apart from the food at Broadmoor."


BBC NEWS: VIDEO AND AUDIO
Watch Jonathan King's comments on his freedom



SEE ALSO:
Jonathan King given release date
03 Mar 05 |  England
Pop mogul jailed for sex abuse
21 Nov 01 |  UK News
The music industry's outsider
24 Nov 00 |  Entertainment


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific