Ms Blackman's remains were found seven months after she vanished
|
The father of a nightclub hostess from Kent who died while working in Japan is returning to Tokyo for the trial of the man accused of killing her.
Lucie Blackman, from Sevenoaks, was working in a Tokyo nightclub when she disappeared in July 2000.
Her remains were found seven months later and property developer Joji Obara, 51, was charged over her death.
Tim Blackman, who lives on the Isle of Wight, said he was flying to Japan on Tuesday to hear Mr Obara's evidence.
 |
We will just find it interesting to see him facing questions and how he reacts
|
Mr Obara is charged with the abduction of Miss Blackman as well as rape resulting in death, and the disposal of her body.
He denies any involvement in her killing.
The trial started last year with members of Miss Blackman's family in court.
Mr Blackman, 51, and his younger daughter Sophie, 24, are to fly from Heathrow to Tokyo on Tuesday.
They will meet prosecutors in the trial and British Embassy officials.
The embassy staff are providing them with translators for when they attend court to hear Mr Obara give evidence.
'Always traumatic'
Mr Blackman said: "He (Obara) has been on the stand a couple of times this autumn but this is the first time we will see him standing there answering questions.
"We will just find it interesting to see him facing questions and how he reacts.
Mr Blackman will also visit the cave where Lucie's body was found
|
"I did see him in the courtroom before but this is a bit different, when he is actually having to respond to what he's being asked.
"It's always traumatic, it's always a difficult thing to face but you either face these things or try and sweep them under the carpet."
The Blackmans will also visit the cave near Mr Obara's apartment where Lucie's remains were found.
Mr Blackman said: "I'm trying to establish in Sophie's mind the idea that we can leave the cave behind and start concentrating on Lucie's spirit being over here (in the UK) rather than over there.
"Sophie was 19 when Lucie went missing so a quarter of her life has been spent managing this disaster."
Mr Blackman said he was "determined to see justice for Lucie".
But he added: "The questions we have about various things will probably never be answered."
The Blackmans are due to return to the UK on Friday.