BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific North Midlands/East West/South-West London/South North Midlands/East West/South-West London/South
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: UK: England  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
England
N Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Politics
Education
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
EDITIONS
Thursday, 8 August, 2002, 11:56 GMT 12:56 UK
No charges for royal butler's brother
Paul Burrell and Diana, Princess of Wales
Diana once called her butler "my rock"
The brother of Princess Diana's former butler will not face charges over items allegedly stolen from the Royal Family.

Graham Burrell, 36, younger brother of Paul, was on police bail since being arrested last October, and was due to be questioned again by detectives on Thursday.

But Scotland Yard said Graham, from Grassmoor in Derbyshire, was not asked to attend.

Paul Burrell, 43, still faces trial at the Old Bailey in October accused of stealing 320 items from Diana, Prince William and the Prince of Wales.

'Nightmare' over

The former butler, who Diana once called "my rock" denies the charges.

The Daily Mirror on Wednesday reports Graham saying: "It is one hell of a relief.

"This whole thing has been a nightmare. I could never understand why I was arrested in the first place.

"But our family's battle is far from over. Paul remains charged and we must now concentrate on proving his innocence."

No more charges

Graham, a former miner, was arrested at home by Serious Crime Squad detectives on 24 October last year in connection with the police inquiry into the alleged theft of items from Diana's estate after her death.

Also arrested was his brother-in-law Andrew Hawksworth, 31, who has also been released from police bail.

Neither man was charged with any offence.

A Scotland Yard spokesman said: "A 36-year-old man due to answer bail today has been told he was no longer required to attend, though we reserve the right to re-interview him in the future."


Click here to go to Derby
See also:

10 Jan 02 | UK
19 Jan 01 | UK
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more England stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more England stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes