BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh

 You are in:  UK: England
Front Page 
Northern Ireland 
UK Politics 
Talking Point 
In Depth 

Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

Friday, 15 February, 2002, 21:16 GMT
Manslaughter claim at hospital
Anthony Young
Mr Young's family say he was not told of appointments
A hospital on Merseyside is being investigated for alleged corporate manslaughter following the death of a young man in a diabetic coma.

Anthony Young, 24, died at Whiston Hospital in St Helens in December 1999 - he had been taken there after suffering a diabetic attack.

His family said his death was directly related to the hospital's failure to notify him of several appointments.

Merseyside Police have set up a major incident room in Huyton.

Anthony Young lived above a shop

The hospital originally reported Mr Young's death as from natural causes, but last year the coroner opened an inquest after his family raised concerns about how he died.

The inquest has now been adjourned until June and Merseyside Police have confirmed they have opened a criminal investigation which is likely to take a few weeks.

The family's claim centres on the fact that Mr Young needed hospital care.

Mr Young's family claim the hospital made him several appointments but did not send the letters because his address appeared to be a business premise - hospitals will normally send appointment details to residential addresses only.

However the family say that although Mr Young lived above a shop, it was not a commercial address.

His health is said to have deteriorated before he suffered the diabetic attack and was admitted to hospital.

Staff interviewed

Carol Young, Anthony's mother, said: "They just do not want to know, they're just trying to stop me every way they can, they're trying to stop this."

The complaint about the hospital's mailing policy distinguishes this case from medical negligence claims which refer to treatment.

A police spokesperson said: "We are investigating an allegation of corporate manslaughter facing the death of Anthony Young, 24, at Whiston Hospital on Monday 3 December 1999."

It is understood at least one member of staff at Whiston Hospital has already been interviewed under caution.

A hospital spokesperson said it would be inappropriate for the hospital to comment on the case until the inquest is reopened.

Click here to go to Liverpool
See also:

19 Jun 01 | Business
Should companies face the courts?
15 Feb 01 | Health
Medical accidents - unstoppable?
Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more England stories are at the foot of the page.

E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more England stories