BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh

 You are in: UK: England
Front Page 
Northern Ireland 
UK Politics 
Talking Point 
In Depth 

Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

Sunday, 6 January, 2002, 14:34 GMT
Missing father's body found
Search teams looking for the missing boy
Rescue teams search for the missing boy
Rescuers have found the body of a 51-year-old man who went missing along with his nine-year-old son in fog off the Cumbrian coast.

The father and his son, who is still missing, had parked at Priory Point near Ulverston at 1420 GMT on Saturday and had gone for a walk on the sands.

The man used his mobile phone to call the emergency services for help after becoming disorientated in thick fog.

Paul Parkes, from the Liverpool Coastguard, said the body had been found on a beach near Bardsea after the tide receded.

Rescue helicopter from RAF Valley
An RAF Valley helicopter has been called in to help

Mr Parkes said: "We've got upwards of 60 people in the area searching the coast so we are intensifying the search in a concentrated area."

Three search and rescue teams are involved in the effort to find the boy, but poor weather conditions have restricted use of the helicopter from RAF Valley.

Mr Parkes also said that a number of people, thought to be relatives who had unofficially joined the search teams, had been airlifted off the sands because of the incoming fog.

He said everyone was "saddened" by the discovery of the father's body.

"We are trying our best to locate this boy as quickly as possible," he said.

'Disconcerting' call

The man's body was found in a sandy area close to the village of Bardsea.

A Liverpool Coastguard spokesman said he was the last person to speak to the man on Saturday afternoon when the man called the emergency services on his mobile phone.

The spokesman said the man told him he was up to his neck in water.

"The man was obviously cold and very worried.

"From what I could gather his son was sitting on his shoulders. It was a bit disconcerting.

Cumbria map
The body was found near Bardsea
"Police tried to phone his mobile phone later on but failed to get through."

Officials have appealed for locals not to get involved in the search.

Police Inspector Malcolm Woodhouse, who is overseeing the search operation, said: "The conditions out there are very treacherous, it is still very icy."

Bernie Prescott, deputy district controller of Liverpool Coastguard, told BBC News Online that teams would continue looking for the boy until darkness fell when they would reassess the situation.

"It is too dangerous to go on the sands with the tides flooding. The waters won't be at high tide until after dark."

Brian George, Liverpool Coastguard
"It is quite dangerous for the search teams out on the sands"

Click here to go to BBC Cumbria
See also:

Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more England stories are at the foot of the page.

E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more England stories