BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh

 You are in: UK: England
Front Page 
Northern Ireland 
UK Politics 
Talking Point 
In Depth 

Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

Wednesday, 21 November, 2001, 17:09 GMT
Goalkeeper over drink-drive limit
Portsmouth Football Club
Mr Flahavan joined Portsmouth FC at the age of 18
A first division football player was almost three times over the limit when he lost control of his car at high speed.

Aaron Flahavan, 25, who was a goalkeeper for Portsmouth football club, died in the crash as he was driving on the A338 towards Bournemouth.

An inquest heard how he lost control of his car, crossed the central reservation and the vehicle flipped over before ending up in a ditch.

It happened at 0030 GMT on 5 August this year when Mr Flahavan, of Gloucester Square, Southampton, was flung from his BMW.

Aaron Flahavan
Mr Flahavan was the first team goalkeeper
A council worker who was clearing away the debris did not discover his body until two and a half hours later.

Dr Allan Anscombe, a Home Office pathologist, told the inquest Mr Flahavan would have died quickly from a severe fractured skull.

A statement was read at the inquest from an eyewitness, Graham Gilmore, saying Mr Flahavan's car had overtaken his vehicle at high speed.

Mr Gilmore said he had been travelling at 80mph when Flahavan had overtaken him.

Football dream

Robin Green, a taxi driver who also witnessed the accident, told the inquest he saw the BMW lose control.

He said it went through the crash barrier and into the air and was turning end over end.

A post-mortem examination showed a blood alcohol level of 227 milligrams per 100 millilitres and the legal limit is 80 milligrams per 100 millilitres.

Irene Zeimpekakis, Mr Flahavan's mother, told the inquest how he had wanted to be a footballer from the age of nine.

Accidental death

He was a youth player with Southampton Football Club, but at 18 he went professional with Portsmouth.

For three seasons before his death he was the first team goalkeeper.

The coroner Mr Payne said speed had been the biggest factor in Mr Flahavan's death who had been travelling in excess of 100mph.

Mr Payne recorded a verdict of accidental death.

Click here to go to Southampton
Links to more England stories are at the foot of the page.

E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more England stories