BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Saturday, 21 October, 2000, 05:00 GMT 06:00 UK
Palace fury at William photos
Prince Charles and Prince William
Prince William gave an official interview last month
Officials at St James's Palace have condemned the publication of pictures of Prince William on his gap year expedition in South America.

The long-lens photos taken of the Prince without his permission are published in the latest issue of celebrity magazine OK!.


OK!'s actions will, in our view, have the effect of inflating the market for such photographs and of encouraging further intrusive photography

St James's Palace
Prince William, who is spending 10 weeks in Chile with youth charity Raleigh International, is seen picking his way through the jungle wearing combat gear and a large backpack.

St James's Palace said the publication of the pictures was "immensely disappointing".

Royal officials have repeatedly called for the Prince's privacy to be respected during his gap year.

Official photocall

William gave a media interview last month in which he told reporters of his plans before starting university in St Andrews next autumn.

It was thought that this co-operation with the press would discourage them from intruding into the Prince's private life in the meantime.

Raleigh expedition in Chile
Raleigh expedition members get to grips with a mountain in Chile
The palace has now sent a letter to Lord Wakeham, chairman of the Press Complaints Commission, saying it may cancel an official photocall with Prince William towards the end of his trip.

The letter, from the Prince of Wales's private secretary, Stephen Lamport, to Lord Wakeham said: "OK! magazine, in its edition published today, have printed photographs taken of Prince William in Chile.

Investigation call

"This is immensely disappointing as all other UK publications have refrained from publishing any of the photographs which have emerged as a result of the continuing - if thankfully - sporadic activities of the Chilean paparazzi.

"OK!'s actions will, in our view, have the effect of inflating the market for such photographs and of encouraging further intrusive photography."

The letter went on to call for an investigation into why OK! published the photographs.

The editor of OK! magazine, Martin Townsend, said the magazine would respond with a statement later.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more UK stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more UK stories