Page last updated at 12:46 GMT, Tuesday, 26 January 2010

UK bans 3,000 hooligans from South Africa World Cup

England football fans
Thousands of England fans are expected to attend the World Cup

The UK government says it will ban more than 3,000 England football hooligans from travelling to South Africa for the World Cup in the summer.

Measures to stop troublemakers from going to the tournament will be passed in the Commons in the next few weeks, according to the Home Office.

This will allow a "control period" to be imposed on about 3,200 hooligans currently subject to banning orders.

Home Office figures show the number of hooligan arrests fell last season.

Banning orders, imposed by the courts on those who commit disorder around matches, prevent troublemakers from attending domestic football matches and can mean they have to surrender their passports to police before international games.

They can last up to 10 years, and the precise conditions can be tailored on a case-by-case basis.

The behaviour of English fans has improved dramatically in recent years and there is nothing to suggest that people will travel with the intention of causing problems
Home Office spokesman

For the Home Secretary Alan Johnson to apply the sanction for the month-long duration of the World Cup, a statutory instrument would have to be laid before Parliament, a Home Office spokesman said.

The powers are part of the process whereby officials try to prevent England fans from being able to cause trouble during international events, he said.

'No complacency'

"Football banning orders have proved highly effective in preventing known-risk fans from travelling overseas to football matches," the spokesman said.

"There has been no significant violence at any England match or tournament played overseas since 2000 when the current football disorder strategy was introduced along with very tough banning order legislation.

"The behaviour of English fans has improved dramatically in recent years and there is nothing to suggest that people will travel with the intention of causing problems.

"However, there is no complacency."

Police would monitor all England fans on departure and intercept any known to pose a risk of violence or disorder, he said.

"And we are working closely with South African authorities to help minimise any safety and security risks associated with hosting a major football tournament."

Home Office figures released last month showed there were 3,752 arrests at matches in England and Wales - a fall of 2% on the 2007/8 season.

The World Cup begins on 11 June, and England are the only UK nation to have qualified for the tournament.



Print Sponsor


SEE ALSO
Are you up for the World Cup?
10 Jun 09 |  Have Your Say
Fixtures for 2010 World Cup
04 Dec 09 |  Football
Capello on 2010 World Cup
13 Mar 09 |  Football Focus
Three-year football ban for fan
01 Oct 09 |  Surrey
Five get football banning orders
27 Aug 09 |  Northamptonshire
Football banning order for racist
28 Apr 08 |  Beds/Bucks/Herts

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific