Barry George in newspaper payout over Dando claims
Nicholas Baird on the "amicable agreement" between Barry George and Newsgroup
Barry George has accepted "substantial" damages over claims he was stalking women and articles suggesting he murdered Jill Dando.
He accepted the undisclosed amount at the High Court against News Group Newspapers - owner of The Sun and The News of the World.
Afterwards Mr George said he was "pleased" the matter had been settled.
Mr George was cleared in August 2008 of murdering the BBC TV presenter who was shot dead in south-west London in 1999.
Mr George, from London, spent seven years in jail for the murder before being acquitted after a retrial.
Following Wednesday's brief hearing, Mr George said: "I am pleased that the matter between myself and News Group Newspapers has been amicably settled following a successful mediation without the need for litigation."
He was at London's High Court with his sister, Michelle Diskin, who led the campaign to prove his innocence.
His counsel, Gordon Bishop, told the court he had brought the action over a number of articles in The Sun and the News of the World between August and November 2008.
He said News Group had withdrawn the "false allegations" and apologised for making them.
It had agreed to pay Mr George substantial damages and all his legal costs.
A spokesperson for News Group Newspapers said: "We are pleased this matter has been amicably resolved following successful mediation and without the need for litigation."
This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.