BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Sunday, 9 July, 2000, 16:50 GMT 17:50 UK
Harrods cuts Royal ties
Prince Philip and Mr al-Fayed
Royals have not shopped in Harrods since 1997
Harrods owner Mohamed al-Fayed is cutting the store's ties with the Royal Family, going as far as banning the Duke of Edinburgh.

Mr al-Fayed has told them they are welcome to shop in Harrods - as long as they do not bring Prince Philip.


Should they return to our store and spend any of their vast fortune with us then we would reconsider

Mohamed al-Fayed
He has also confirmed that he will not be reapplying for Royal warrants from the Queen or Prince Charles when the current ones expire next year, ending a 45-year association.

All Royal crests will be removed from the store's Brompton Road facade at the end of this summer.

The move follows the duke's announcement earlier this year that he is to withdraw his Royal warrant from Harrods on 31 December 2000.

A "significant decline in the trading relationship" with the store was cited as the reason.

Mr al-Fayed said since neither the Queen nor Prince Charles have shopped in Harrods for several years, displaying their crests would be "totally misleading and hypocritical".

"We are proud of the Harrods' reputation as the world's finest store and we naturally welcome discerning shoppers from all over the world," he said.

Hypocritical'

"The Royal Family, with the exception of Prince Philip, are welcome to shop at Harrods at any time.

"Should they return to our store and spend any of their vast fortune with us then we would reconsider our position with regards to applying for the Royal warrants.

"In these circumstances Harrods displaying Royal warrants would actually mean something and therefore be justified."

Royal warrant
Duke's warrant is for gentlemans' outfitting

Royal warrants from the Queen, held since 1955, and Prince of Wales, held since 1980, both expire at the end of 2001.

Relations between Mr al-Fayed and the Royal Family have been strained since the fatal car crash involving his son Dodi and Diana, Princess of Wales in 1997.

During his libel trial against former MP Neil Hamilton, Mr al-Fayed accused Prince Philip of directing UK secret services in organising the Paris car crash.

Investigators say the crash was an accident, but Mr al-Fayed maintains it was arranged with the Royal Family's knowledge because they did not like Diana dating an Egyptian.

It is understood that Prince Philip was angered by the allegations.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

13 Jan 00 | UK
Harrods loses Royal Warrant
21 Dec 99 | UK
Profile: Mohamed al-Fayed
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more UK stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more UK stories