At present, courts can only impose the injunctions in cases of convictions for two offences - harassment or putting someone in fear of violence.
From 30 September, anyone still considered a threat at the end of a criminal case - regardless of the charge or result - may be made subject of an order.
Solicitor General Vera Baird says it will be simpler for the courts to help protect victims
Home Office minister Lord West said on Friday: "Domestic violence is a devastating crime which impacts across all communities.
"The additional powers announced today will also help victims in need of immediate protection and spare them the need to take separate civil action."
The changes form the latest step in the government's reform of law on domestic violence.
Recent years have seen the introduction of specialist domestic violence courtrooms, the training of 75 independent advisers specialising in this area and funding of a national helpline which received 137,000 calls in a year.
The Home Office says conviction rates among those cases which make it to court have risen from 60% to 72% over four years.
However, some charities have previously noted a rise in reports of domestic violence as a result of the economic downturn.
Refuge, a charity which helps victims of domestic violence, has welcomed the changes to the rules on restraining orders.
But it says it is essential the government provides the courts and the police with the resources and training to implement the orders effectively.
This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.